January 26, 2005

MLK Day Or President's Day?

Hallo... I connected with some friends and asked, whether their company gave them a holiday on MLK Day or President's Day? Most responded, President's Day and said, they have never received a holiday on MLK Day. Those who work in the public sector, automatically qualify. Personally, as CEO or decision-maker of my own company (some day), I would opt for MLK Day any day!

Why? When I think of MLK, I think about... Civil Rights, and am very grateful that we live in a time where civil rights, civil liberties, and all those wonderful freedom principles are the norm. Maybe that is a bit of a stretch, as we humans need more of an open-mind, but at least the roots have been grounded and ideas such as equality have been explored.

Yes, we are grateful for the presidents and glad they were born and guided America, but celebrating President Lincoln's birthday isn't that appealing to me. I would rather take the day off on MLK Day to walk down memory lane and retrace the steps to freedom. We have come far in this expanding yet shrinking world and there is further to go.

-zensufi-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zen Sufi

I have not come across many people who make the connections between zen and sufism and i was wondering if i could write to you to find out more and if you are interested in sharing ideas etc about these areas of thought/practice/philosophy?

my name is Zah. i am 32, living in London UK with my wife Claire and my son Elvis. I work for a school as an estates manager and safety manager.

i was brought up muslim but went to a christian school (perfect training for sufism?!)

anyway, will keep this brief in case you are not interested. i can be contacted at zah_rasul786@yahoo.co.uk if you can write - even if its just some suggested reading that would be great!

peace

zah